The international architecture competition of the Museum of History and the Future has been launched. The international open architecture competition is looking for the design of the world’s first Museum of History and Future, located in Turku in Southwest Finland. The competition period continues until January 16, 2024.
The site of the future museum is unique in terms of its cultural history and cityscape. In the surroundings of the competition area, Turku Castle, River Aura, the Baltic Sea and the developing new Linnanniemi area offer a rewarding and at the same time demanding framework for a new building as part of a national cultural landscape.
Turku, the oldest city in Finland, will celebrate its 800th anniversary in 2029. The new museum will tell the stories of the city and its residents while providing tools for the path to a sustainable future.
The Museum of History and the Future will combine the latest technology with reflecting on the stories of history and the possibilities of the future. The museum is not only a place for learning and experiencing, but also a communal and inspirational space and a cultural landmark for the area. The principles guiding the planning and future activities of the museum are multi-channel, multi-voice, diversity, ecology, vitality, and impact.
TIMEFRAME OF THE COMPETITION
- The competition period is 4 September 2023 to 16 January 2024
- Questions concerning the competition must be submitted via the webform by 2 p.m. (UTC+3) on 20 October 2023. Answers to the questions will be published on this webpage in November 2023.
- No separate registration is required. The author(s) of the proposal will leave their contact information on the submission webpage when returning the competition entry. You should return your proposal in good time, submitted works can be updated with the ID number obtained from the system.
- Proposals must be submitted on the submission webpage by 2 p.m. (UTC+2) on 16 January 2024. Please note that Finland observes daylight savings time.
- The aim is that the results of the competition will be published in June 2024.
For full information on the competition, please visit the competition website HERE.