UNESCO with the support of the Government of United Arab Emirates, the Prime Minister of Iraq and the UN Secretary-General, announces the launch of an international, single stage, open and anonymous architecture competition for the Reconstruction & Rehabilitation of the Al Nouri Complex in Mosul, Iraq.
The UIA has endorsed the competition, which is part of UNESCO’s initiative called “Revive the Spirit of Mosul”, a call for the restoration of one of Iraq’s iconic cities.
The Rehabilitation of Al Nouri Mosque Complex calls for a conceptual design for the construction of new buildings with diverse functions; the rehabilitation of all three of its historical buildings and their integration into the new designs; and the landscaping design of the entire site. By creating new spaces dedicated to the community – for education, social and cultural activities – the project envisions a space to serve community beyond its principal religious function.
The Reconstruction of Al Nouri Prayer Hall calls for the concept design for conserving the remaining, standing structure of the prayer hall and its integration into the new building, which is a reconstruction of the prayer hall, as it was in 2017 before its destruction.
- Howayda Al-Harithy (Saudi Arabia), Professor of architecture & design and Director of the School of Design at the American University of Beirut
- Ahmed Yousif Mahmood Alomary (Iraq), Department head, architectural engineering, University of Mosul
- Raya Ani (Iraq), Architect, RAW-NYC Architects
- Xavier Casanovas (Spain), Professor and expert in sustainable regeneration, Polytechnic University of Catalonia
- Amel Chabbi (United Arab Emirates), Head of Conservation, Departement of Culture & Tourism, Abu Dhabi
- Shahira Fahmy (Egypt), Architect, Shahira Fahmy Architects
- Dominique Perrault (France), Architect, Dominique Perrault Architecture
- Wang Shu (China), Architect, Amateur Architecture Studio, UIA Representative,
- Marina Tabassum (Bangladesh), Architect, Marina Tabassum Architects
- Jerzy Uścinowicz (Poland), Professor, Bialystok University of Technology, UIA Representative
Five awards will be allocated:
- First prize: 50,000 USD
- Second prize: 30,000 USD
- Third prize: 20,000 USD
- Fourth prize: 15,000 USD
- Fifth prize: 10,000 USD
The jury may also allocate honorary mentions at its discretion for entries with special merit.
The official language of the competition is English.
- Launch: 16 November 2020
- Registration Deadline: 21 December 2020
- Deadline for entries: 26 March 2021
- Jury Meeting: 4-11 April 2021
- Announcement of the Winner: 15 April 2021
For Queries: firstname.lastname@example.org