IES Charles Rudd Distinguished Public Lectures
Chief Technology Officers from Ericsson, Huawei and Nokia
Proudly Presented by The Institution of Engineers, Singapore (IES)
Date: 23 November 2019 (Saturday)
Time: 9.00am – 1.00pm
Venue: Auditorium, Singapore University of Technology and Design
8 Somapah Road Singapore 487372
More Information: Click HERE
5G technology is the buzzword of the year not only among the engineering and scientific community, but also evident among the general public. This has generated a lot of interest following Singapore’s recent announcement of the launch of the 5G infrastructure as well as the worldwide media coverage of the subject. 5G networks are touted as the game changer and next big leap forward in ultra-fast mobile and wireless network connectivity to cater to the quantum increase in data traffic among consumers and industries. Countries all over the world are racing to build 5G networks, to exploit the vast opportunities they are expected to deliver.
The distinguished speakers and panelists will help to address the following questions:
- What is 5G and why does it matter?
- Why is 5G important and important to whom? Why does the world need 5G technologies today and in the future?
- How do 5G technologies work, and what are the key technologies and characteristics? How are these different from 4G, WiFi or other wireless technologies?
- What problems could be addressed by 5G? For example, what types of real world “capability gaps” (e.g. manufacturing, transport, healthcare) are 5G technologies in the best place to address today and in the future?
- Where are 5G technologies being deployed and what applications might be using 5G now and likely in the next few years?
- What do credible studies say about the health risks in 5G? What are the other potential downsides with 5G and how can these be mitigated?
- What is the 5G roadmap? When is 6G?
- So does 5G help us build a better and safer world?
The panel discussion after the lecture presentations will be facilitated by Prof Yaacob Ibrahim.
For a deeper dive into some topics, there will also be parallel technical sessions in the afternoon to explore in-depth topics on 5G technologies.